Vamosa, the content migration practice of T-Systems, supports organisations on their journey to standardise and consolidate content and data through mergers and acquisitions. Internally, we discussed some of our historical projects and one that instantly came to the conversation was an acquisition involving two large software organisations. When this acquisition occurred in 2009 (yes, its a while back but still relevant!) a request from the buyer to manage the migration, standardisation and consolidation of the newly acquired content was an opportunity we felt more than ready to deliver – and we did.
Acquisition complete – what about the content and end users?
By acquiring a large software vendor, one of the biggest challenges that faced our customer from a content perspective was to ensure that the web content from both suppliers was standardised and delivered from a common platform to ensure the correct message was given to their customers. Due to the nature of the acquisition there was a lot of media attention and as such our customer wanted to merge the content in line with corporate guidance as quickly and smoothly as possible.
Our customer required integration of two heavily used support networks. With more than one million registered users for each website, many of whom use the site on a daily basis, minimal disruption was key. Additionally, the end users of the websites could not be aware of background activity while receiving the support they had come to expect.
Although they are a leading player in the IT industry, content migration is not the focus of our customer. They wanted a proven, reliable partner to deliver their migration and looked to Vamosa.
Understand, design, process, refinement, repeat…
A challenging migration project was delivered successfully by T-Systems migration practice, Vamosa. Working closely with the customer, we would deliver a focused discovery and analysis of existing content. Differences between the support networks could be identified, including branding, style, metadata usage and page structure – all of which were used to drive the design and transformation discussions required to define the migration approach. Duplication and obsolete content were identified, allowing informed decisions to be made about which content should be migrated and which should be excluded.
A flexible, agile approach was adopted. This was key given the target templates had not been fully defined, which required the ability to adapt to changes in template design and reprocess content in bulk when required. Repeatable validation(sample) migrations were delivered to help the user understand the result and iron out any anomalies in the process BEFORE the live execution. These validation migration runs were used to assist the design and implementation of the target solution as well as verify the migration result. Using our Vamosa migration software, development and testing was applied offline, removing the impact on the live websites. Sample migrated content was added to non-production systems as the target solution was implemented.
Using a structured, automated approach, backed up with a proven methodology allowed T-Systems to deliver seamless integration of both support networks in tight timescales (a quick delivery was key to reduce cost and user disruption), while retaining all the flexibility required by our customer.
T-Systems were able to deliver a migration to suit customer requirements, within a tight timeline to ensure the content was available in the single support environment as quickly as possible – without degrading the quality. This was achievable by using our expert migration consultants with our dedicated migration Software and proven methodology.
- Seamless migration – The migration project was delivered with no impact on either website, users had no awareness of the migration process and could continue to work as normal.
- Fully Aware of the challenge – Analysis reporting provided vital information to assist in defining the business and transformation requirements that would drive the migration design. Without analysis these decisions would have been far more difficult to justify and agree.
- Flexible and responsive – The flexibility of the migration team ensured an agile approach could be applied to work closely with the implementation team, ensuring a template design that would work for the content AND authors was delivered.
- Knowledge and guidance – Experience and knowledge of the migration team helped to provide support throughout, offering guidance on key decision points, removing stress from the migration process and allowing the customer team to focus on other important areas of the site launch i.e. communication.
- Brand awareness and standardisation – Content specifically related to the acquisition could be standardised to include a unified branding to meet corporate standards and provide a consistent view, removing the need for manual updates.
An agile approach to migration, coupled with working closely with the business stakeholders provided a foundation to achieve the desired result in the time available. The expertise of the Vamosa team using a defined and proven methodology for delivery of migration projects was a major factor in the success, providing a truly global brand the reassurance for why they selected Vamosa to successfully deliver a critical business project.
Take the next step!
A division of T-Systems, Vamosa Technologies specializes in content migration to cloud, on-premises and hybrid cloud systems. With two decades of customer migrations, Vamosa Technologies has experience with a comprehensive range of leading enterprise content management systems. To learn more about services from Vamosa Technologies, please read our case studies and whitepapers or contact us.